Thursday, August 15, 2013

Live Like Steve


“We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up ... discovering we have the strength to stare it down” -Eleanor Roosevelt. What I have begun to learn over the years is every hero has an imperfection. A flaw that sets them apart. A flaw that they work through, each and everyday to set the bar higher for themselves. An imperfection they see no other than perfection. When I think of a hero I think of my Coach, Steven Esslinger.

Years before I met the heroic Coach Esslinger, he battled cancer for multiple years. Enduring chemotherapy, and plethora of surgeries he never let the important things slip from his fingers. Taking various volunteering opportunities, maintaining his job, and never missing one of his daughters track meets he began to realize what he was capable of. When his cancer finally decided to surrender, he decided to take on another obstacle. Dana Hills Girls Cross-country…little did he know what he was getting himself into.

Freshman year, Coach Esslinger spotted me running on the track at volleyball tryouts. Seeing him wave at me in the stands with his bright orange shirt, I couldn’t help but smile. Everyday after, he called my house trying to recruit me for cross-country. After a few days of persistent(I mean PERSISTENT)phone calls, I decided to tryout. Who knew it would be the greatest decision of my life. With just a year of Coach E by my side, encouraging me to reach what he knew I was capable of I began to realize that cross-country wasn’t just a sport I was rewarded with P.E credits; it was a sport that reminded me who I was, and who I wanted to become. Through every hill repeat, to every breathless, exhausting moment in my 3-mile race, I looked at Coach E and knew if he could do it, so could I.
Around my junior year of high school, Coach E received devastating news of cancer’s return. Brushing it off, he went to chemotherapy only to get right back to all his everyday activities. Despite his frustration, and his physical fatigue he came to every practice will a smile and overall happiness with his life. Even though his feet constantly felt like they were on fire, and how painful it was to even to tie his shoes, he would be on a bike right behind me. Coach E made me realize that my obstacles or struggles do not define me. They challenge you, they test you, and they help you grow. As much of a blessing cross-country was it was a huge obstacle to overcome. At some points I wanted to quit and just walk away, but it was the girl who challenged herself in every workout and never gave up that I am proud to be. Running may seem like a frivolous activity, but the sport, let alone the people, taught me so much. Whether it’s running,  college, or any struggle that may meet me in the future I will carry these memories and experiences with me forever. Because with just these four years with coach E, I found myself.
Even though Coach E passed away last year, he wasn’t defeated. He conquered every obstacle that came his way, and always was ready to help someone fight there’s. He was my role model, my inspiration, and my hero. I will always be the helping hand in the community, the person who looks at every obstacle with unflagging determination, and the one who “never looks down on someone unless they’re helping them up”. I will always ‘Live Like Steve’.


No comments:

Post a Comment